James M. Crowley
Amelia Island, FL
James M. Crowley is a successful international lawyer and consultant active in the fields of International corporate organization, insurance and other financial services, particularly as they affect the Roman Catholic Church.
Significant experience in: Roman Catholic organizational practice, theology and canon law, organizational structuring and growth; process development, and implementation; capital and resource planning, particularly in an international and church related context; management of professional advisers, consultants and suppliers in an international context, crisis and conflict resolution; cross-cultural and multilingual negotiations; property-casualty insurance and employee benefits; international law and international trade.
- Attorney in international practice (8/72- present)
- International business and organizational consulting practice (3/97 –present)
- Counsel to the Philadelphia law firm of Dilworth Paxson LLP (1/98- 4/03)
- CIGNA International Senior Vice President-Government and Industry Affairs (5/94- 3/97)
- CIGNA International Senior Vice President and Chief Counsel (2/84-5/94)
- CIGNA Corporation Senior Counsel (12/80- 2/84)
- International legal practice in New York City (9/78- 12/80)
- Legal practice with the law firm of Shearman & Sterling (8/72 to 8/78)
- J. C. L., 1973 (m.c.l.), Lateran University, Rome
- J.D., 1972, University of Notre Dame Certificate in English and American Laws
- 1971, University College, University of London
- J.C.B., 1970 (m,c.l.), Lateran University, Rome
- S.T.L., 1969, Lateran University, Rome
- S.T.B., 1967 (m.c.l.}, Lateran University, Rome
- Ph.B., 1965 (m.c.l.}, Lateran University, Rome
- Studied at St. Charles Seminary, Philadelphia (1959-63), and was selected by the Archdiocese of Philadelphia to study at the Pontifical Roman Major Seminary in Rome (1963-68)
- Italian, French, Spanish, Latin, German, Portuguese
- Pro Bono Publico litigation: Served as counsel for the Quinlan family in the “right to die” litigation Matter of Karen Quinlan, from trial level through United States Supreme Court (1975-76).
- Assistant to the Secretary General of the First Vatican Synod of Bishops, 1967
- From 1984 to1987, Member of the Philadelphia – Archdiocesan Finance Council, which is the principal advisory body to the archdiocese on financial matters.
- From 2011 to 2013, Member of the Philadelphia Archdiocesan Insurance Advisory Committee.
Sovereign Military Order of Malta (American Association)
- Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem (Knight Commander)
- The University Club, New York City
- Corporate Directorship: National Catholic Bioethics Center, 2006 to date
- President of The Saint Thomas More Society (the association of Catholic lawyers in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia) 2001-2005; Vice President; 1999-2001; Director, 1998-2005
- Trustee of the Country Day School of the Sacred Heart, Bryn Mawr, PA (1999-2004).